Thursday, November 20, 2008

S&G and


This card is from the Simon and Garfunkle Swap. I chose the song American Tune. Paul Simon wrote this right after the break up of the duo. When the duo reunited for the concert and central park they performed it and for subsequent concerts it became a crowd favorite. I've always been drawn to the lyrics in this song: "We come on the ship they call the Mayflower
We come on the ship that sailed the moonWe come in the age's most uncertain hoursand sing an American tune" 

For me the song evokes an America that is is danger of losing top billing on the world's
 stage.  The ideals that we fought for in world war II; democracy, and cultural freedom seem lost in an era rife with the dirty politics of tricky 
dicky. This song meant a lot to me in high school; I was a student of U.S. history learning about the motivations of our founding leaders. Their motivations weren't always pure. History my junior year was one of those lessons when you feel like for the first time intellectually your eyes are wide open. I still feel like this song speaks to that. So much of the day is just work and routine and those moments where one engages with what
 makes them tick are about as rewarding as those other moments where one just totally disengages to have fun. Paul Simon wrote the song on the heels of Nixon's reelection; this song was meant to sum up his disappointment with the result.  On the card I highlighted the lyric, "and I don't know a dream that's not been shattered or driven to its knees" 

 This was my card for the Louis Comfort Tiffany  Swap. This swap turned out awesome. Definitely for the next swap I host the topic will be something to do with art history. 

No comments: